AMY, TEXAS. Amy was on the East Fork of Big Creek three miles north of Cooper in central Delta County. The site, located on the A. Askey survey, was settled early in the 1800s. The Amy school opened sometime around 1890; Jim Smith was one of the first instructors. In 1894 Robert Andrew Nicholson began a postal service, and the settlement was officially named Amy, but only after the postal department rejected the name Hobbs. The school was the center of the community. Records for 1904 listed seventy-six students and one teacher. The following year the post office was closed, and the area began to decline. In 1929 the school merged with Mulberry to form Clark School. By 1936 Amy was no longer identified on maps, but in 1939 it reported one business and twenty-five residents. In 1952 the store had closed, but twenty-five residents remained in the area. In 1964 a few scattered dwellings marked the old community site.
Paul Garland Hervey, A History of Education in Delta County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1951).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "AMY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hva15), accessed May 23, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.