ALTONIA, TEXAS. Altonia was thirteen miles southwest of San Augustine in southwestern San Augustine County. The community was granted a post office named Ransom in 1886, and in 1895 the name was changed to Altonia, supposedly for the site's location on an elevated sandy ridge. By 1914 Altonia had a general store, and in 1933 it comprised a business and twenty-five inhabitants. By the 1940s the community was no longer shown on county highway maps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "ALTONIA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hva13), accessed May 24, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.