ALTHEA, TEXAS. Althea was on Farm Road 487 in the southeastern corner of Bell County. The town was headquarters for farm and ranch operations of the Thompson F. Fowler family; the Fowler General Store and gin operated there. Althea had a store, a gin, a blacksmith shop, and a school in the early twentieth century and a post office between 1900 and 1904. It comprised one business and a population of forty in 1933, and its school, which had been part of the Williamson County School District, was consolidated with the Bartlett district in 1948. In 1964 the population had fallen to ten, and the community was no longer shown on government topographical maps.
Bell County Historical Commission, Story of Bell County, Texas (2 vols., Austin: Eakin Press, 1988). Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "ALTHEA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hva11), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.