WHITELAND, TEXAS. Whiteland is ten miles west of Brady in western McCulloch County. It was a stop on the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railway, when the railroad built through the area in 1911. It was named for the White family, who donated land for the settlement. A post office opened in 1912. In 1914 the community had a general store and fifty residents. The population increased to 125 by the mid-1920s but fell to forty by 1943. The post office had been discontinued by the mid-1950s. Whiteland reported forty residents and one business in 1988.
Jessie Laurie Barfoot, History of McCulloch County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1937).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "WHITELAND, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htw10), accessed September 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.