WESTFIELD, TEXAS. Westfield is on Interstate 45 and the Missouri Pacific Railroad nineteen miles north of Houston. The site is part of the lumber and oil region of north central Harris County. In 1846 German immigrant Herman Tautenhahn built a general store near Cypress Station where a trail crossed Cypress Creek. The town was established in 1870 and named for Gate F. West, who owned a small field at the site when the International–Great Northern Railroad came through from Houston to Spring. A post office was established in 1873, and Tautenhahn moved his store closer to the tracks. The community thrived as a railroad town, loading cotton, lumber, cattle, and hides on freight cars from local warehouses and cattle pens. By 1890 Westfield had a population of 200 (largely German and Anglo-American), three churches, a school, a steam sawmill, three combination gristmill–cotton gins, and several sorghum manufacturers. The community shipped a tonnage of cotton, livestock, and other products equal to that of Spring. Some of the residents were employed making farm implements, barrels, and furniture. Westfield had a brief boom in 1905 as an overflow point for employees in the Humble oilfield but declined as cotton moved west and lumber and cattle dwindled. In 1905 the local white school had 137 pupils and one teacher and the local black school thirty-three pupils and one teacher. The population grew from fifty to 450 between 1925 and 1930 but declined to fifty during the Great Depression, when Westfield had two businesses. During World War II the community had 200 residents and ten businesses. After the war the population declined to 125, where it remained until the mid-1960s, when it increased to 275. In the 1950s Farm Road 1960 passed north of the town, and in 1962 Tautenhahn's store, renamed Big T Shopping Center, was moved to Interstate 45 and Farm Road 1960. The population remained 275 from 1966 to 1990, during which time Westfield had a maximum of thirty-two businesses. By 1990 only one business remained. The post office was discontinued in 1972, and no population figures were available for the community in 2000. In 2003 the 100-year-old St. Matthew's Lutheran Church still stood near the George Bush Intercontinental Airport.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Diana J. Kleiner, "Westfield, TX," accessed August 25, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htw06.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.