WESTCOTT, TEXAS. Westcott is on U.S. Highway 59 fifty-five miles north of Houston in southern San Jacinto County. The site was first settled by John Stephens. Westcott residents relied on the post office at nearby Shepherd and did most of their trading at either Shepherd or Cleveland, in northern Liberty County. By 1918 the town was shown as a stop on the Houston, East and West Texas Railway. A sawmill operated for a while, and after it closed, new development in the area was evident during the 1960s and 1970s, probably stemming from the settlement's scenic location on the main highway from Houston to the southern half of Lake Livingston, a man-made reservoir completed in 1968. Many community residents also commute to work in Houston. Westcott was still listed as a community in 1990.
Ruth Hansbro, History of San Jacinto County (M.A. thesis, Sam Houston State Teachers College, 1940). San Jacinto County Historical Commission, Dim Trails and Blurred Footprints: A History of San Jacinto County (Dallas: Taylor, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "WESTCOTT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htw05), accessed May 24, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.