RULIFF, TEXAS. Ruliff is on the Kansas City Southern Railway 1½ miles south of Deweyville and thirty-five miles northeast of Beaumont in extreme southeastern Newton County. The Ruliff station was established on the Texarkana and Fort Smith Railway to serve Deweyville shortly after the line's construction through the area in 1898. Henry C. Braddock was appointed Ruliff's first postmaster in 1899. The Ruliff office was briefly relinquished to Hartburg in late 1900 and moved to Deweyville in 1908. However, it was reestablished at Ruliff from 1921 until 1928, when it was again moved to Deweyville. Ruliff had a population of 100 during the 1920s, but by the mid-1940s the number had fallen to forty. One business served the community at that time. Widely scattered buildings on the road to Deweyville and along the railroad, acquired by the Kansas City Southern in 1943, marked Ruliff in 1982.