NORTH PLEASANTON, TX
NORTH PLEASANTON, TEXAS. North Pleasanton was an incorporated town in east central Atascosa County on the north side of the Atascosa River from the adjoining and much larger Pleasanton. North Pleasanton was platted in 1913 by the Nueces Valley Townsite Company a year after the San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf Railroad built through Pleasanton. North Pleasanton served as the location of the railroad roundhouse and maintenance shops, which employed many of the town's first residents. A post office was established in North Pleasanton in 1914 and continued to serve the community until 1962, when it was consolidated with that of Pleasanton. By 1925 North Pleasanton had a population of 364, rising to 600 in the late 1920s but declining to 369 in the 1930s. Between eight and fifteen businesses were listed in the town during that time. The population of North Pleasanton increased from 673 in 1941 to a high of 1,018 in 1961. That year twenty businesses were listed. In 1961 North Pleasanton was annexed to neighboring Pleasanton and ceased to exist as a separate community.
Atascosa County Centennial, 1856–1956 (Jourdanton, Texas: Atascosa County Centennial Association, n.d.). Atascosa County History (Pleasanton, Texas: Atascosa History Committee, 1984). Margaret G. Clover, The Place Names of Atascosa County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1952).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Linda Peterson, "NORTH PLEASANTON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htn10), accessed April 18, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.