NORIAS, TEXAS. Norias is on the Missouri Pacific Railroad and U.S. Highway 77 thirty-two miles south of Sarita in southwestern Kenedy County. Noria is a Spanish word for "well." The St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway was completed into the area in 1904. Norias was owned and operated by the King Ranch as a shipping point and division headquarters. In 1948 the settlement had a railroad station, a school, and an airway beacon. In 1982 it had several farm units, a cemetery, and a few dwellings. It was a dispersed community in the early 1990s.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.T. C. Richardson, "NORIAS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htn09), accessed November 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles