NEEDMORE, TX (DELTA COUNTY)
NEEDMORE, TEXAS (Delta County). Needmore, also known as Jernigan, Pecan, Pecan Branch, and Eureka, is a small farming community at the intersection of Farm Road 3132 and a dirt road, between Barnett Creek and the West Fork of Jernigan Creek 1½ miles southeast of Yowell in southwestern Delta County. The area was inhabited during the Republic of Texas era, and in 1850 local residents organized the Jernigan Baptist Church under the leadership of pastor Will Cummings. In 1873 a post office called Pecan (for the local trees) opened, with John W. Pratt as postmaster. By 1882 D. P. Holland had constructed a gristmill, and the population of the community was reported as 100. The post office name was changed to Needmore in 1886. By 1890 the town had Pratt's general store, a blacksmith, a large cotton gin, the office of physician J. M. Logsdon, three gristmills, and three carpenters. By 1892 Logsdon was running the post office, and a municipal government had been established. The school district had been formed as Eureka, and in 1893 the Baptist congregation, which had lost its church in a storm, began meeting in the school building.
When the Texas Midland Railroad built through Delta County in 1895, it bypassed Needmore, which led to the town's decline. The school reported thirty white students and two teachers in 1906, and the next year the post office was discontinued. By 1900 the community population had decreased to fifty. The fellowship moved out of the schoolhouse in 1918 and into a new religious hall. The 1936 county highway map identified Needmore as a church, a school, and a cluster of dwellings at the intersection of two dirt roads. In 1949 the school was absorbed into the West Delta district. Only the church and a few scattered homes remained in 1964, and by 1970 local children attended classes in the Cooper Independent School District. The community was still shown on the 1984 county highway map.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Vista K. McCroskey, "Needmore, TX (Delta County)," accessed May 28, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htn01.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles