MATINBURG, TEXAS. Matinburg, sometimes called Martinburg, was at the junction of Farm roads 556 and 2455, eight miles southwest of Pittsburg in southwestern Camp County. It was settled in the 1880s and first named Martinburg, for A. D. Martin, an early teacher and community leader. When the post office was established in 1893 it was given the name Matinburg because Martinburg was too similar to the names of other towns in the state. In 1897 the village was the site of a one-room, one-teacher school that served thirty-six white children. The community began to grow in the early twentieth century, and by 1914 it had several stores, three gins, a sawmill, a church, a school, and a population estimated at 100. In 1918 the school district joined the Center Ridge school district to build Liberty School at a point equidistant from the two communities. Matinburg continued to grow until the 1930s, when its population was estimated at 148. During World War II the population dropped sharply; it was estimated at twenty-five in 1945. Although the community had one rated business at that time, by the next year only a church and cemetery remained. The last available population estimate for the village was recorded at thirty-five in 1964. In 1983 the site of Matinburg was marked by a church and a cemetery.
Artemesia L. B. Spencer, The Camp County Story (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "MATINBURG, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htm12), accessed August 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.