LAKEVIEW, TX (HALE COUNTY)
LAKEVIEW, TEXAS (Hale County). Lakeview is on Farm Road 54 six miles northeast of Abernathy in southeastern Hale County. The community was originally near the center of the county and was moved several times before settling at its current site. With each move, both the settlement and the post office retained the name. A Lakeview post office operated from 1892 until 1914. In 1893 the third Methodist church in the county, Lakeview Methodist Church, was organized. The Lakeview school was established in 1914; A. H. Tedford was the first teacher. Lakeview became an independent school district in 1919, absorbing the Star and Ivey schools. By 1937 the school employed four teachers. In 1936 Lakeview had the school, two churches, a cemetery, a business, and a number of scattered dwellings. The schoolhouse was closed in 1943, and the school district was divided between Abernathy and Petersburg. By 1964 only the church was shown on county maps.
Mary L. Cox, History of Hale County, Texas (Plainview, Texas, 1937).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LAKEVIEW, TX (HALE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htl05), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.