LAKENON, TEXAS. Lakenon is at the junction of State Highway 22, the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad, and Pecan Creek, seven miles east of Hillsboro in eastern Hill County. It became a flag stop on the Katy when the railroad was built from Fort Worth to Hillsboro in 1881. The community was named for A. R. Lakenon, who served as a notary public in the Texas Senate in 1899. In 1894 Lakenon received its own post office, which it held for a short time, and by 1906 the Lakenon school had ninety-nine pupils. At one time the community had a general store and blacksmith shop. In 1953 the Lakenon school was consolidated with the Hillsboro schools. In the 1980s the community was still marked on maps.
Hill County Historical Commission, A History of Hill County, Texas, 1853–1980 (Waco: Texian, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Lisa C. Maxwell, "LAKENON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htl03), accessed July 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.