HILDA, TEXAS. Hilda was near Beaver Creek a half mile east of Ranch Road 783 in southeastern Mason County. As early as 1855 settlers began arriving in the area; they were part of the overflow from the German settlements of Fredericksburg and New Braunfels. During its early years the community suffered from Indian raids and a shortage of supplies. Settlers had to travel by wagon to Fredericksburg to grind their corn and purchase provisions. Though the first preaching in the community began as early as 1856, the first church was not erected until 1865, when the Methodists built a combination church and school from cypress logs and stones. This was one of the first school buildings in the county, and classes there were first taught by Henry Bierschwale. A new school was built for the community in 1893. In 1902 the old church was torn down and a new one built from its stones. The town was originally called the Beaver Creek Community after the nearby stream but was renamed Hilda when retired minister Gustave Schulze established the community's first post office in his store. Emma Schulze, the first postmistress, is said to have named the post office after Hilda Schulze. By 1914 the town had telephone service. Its post office was discontinued in 1919, and a community hall was built in 1920. By 1939 there were about thirty-five families living in the area, most of them engaged in stock raising. The community consisted of the school, a community hall, a church, and scattered stone buildings. Only the church and cemetery were shown on the 1985 county highway map.
Kathryn Burford Eilers, A History of Mason County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1939). Mason County Historical Book (Mason, Texas: Mason County Historical Commission, 1976). Mason County News, Centennial Edition, June 19, 1958. Stella Gipson Polk, Mason and Mason County: A History (Austin: Pemberton Press, 1966; rev. ed., Burnet, Texas: Eakin Press, 1980).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alice J. Rhoades, "HILDA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hth09), accessed December 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles