GEORGE, TEXAS. George is at the junction of Farm roads 39 and 1452, twelve miles northwest of Madisonville in northwestern Madison County. A station on the Trinity and Brazos Valley Railway was established there in 1907 at the site of a small store owned by George Donaho and a post office called George that opened in 1903. Later, Donaho and Charlie Martin built a larger store there with the post office and a steam gin in the back; the gin operated until the 1930s. In the 1930s the community had a population of fifty and a power substation, a factory, an additional business, and a few scattered dwellings. The George school was consolidated with the Normangee Independent School District in Leon County in 1943, and in 1954 the community's store and post office closed. George reported a population of fifty and two businesses in 1959, the last year for which figures are available. The only church in the community, the Sand Prairie Baptist Church, was still conducting services in the 1980s.
Madison County Historical Commission, A History of Madison County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ellen C. Short, "GEORGE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htg07), accessed November 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles