ELBERTA, TEXAS. Elberta is just east of State Highway 110 a mile southeast of Tyler in central Smith County. The site was known as Douglas, when it became a station on the International-Great Northern Railroad in 1872. It was renamed Elberta for the Elberta peaches grown in the area. In 1936 Elberta had a church, a cemetery, and a small cluster of farms. Maps for 1973 showed a sizable community with a church, water tanks, and a water-tank substation.
Smith County Historical Society, Historical Atlas of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Tyler Print Shop, 1965). Donald W. Whisenhunt, comp., Chronological History of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Smith County Historical Society, 1983). Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1948).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "ELBERTA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hte08), accessed July 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.