DUFF, TEXAS. Duff, eleven miles south of Center in south central Shelby County, was a flag stop on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway and, for a brief period in 1907, the site of a post office. Residents of the area boarded the passenger train at Duff as it passed on its route from Longview to Beaumont. It was also a place where hoboes caught freight trains as they slowed to check for the signal to stop. By 1974 the flag stop had been abandoned.
Charles E. Tatum, Shelby County: In the East Texas Hills (Austin: Eakin, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "DUFF, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htd24), accessed May 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.