DYER, TEXAS. Dyer was a school community between Oyster Creek and Stafford in northeastern Fort Bend County. It was part of the original Oyster Creek settlement of Stephen F. Austin's colony. The community was named for early settler and plantation-owner Clement C. Dyer, the son-in-law of William Stafford, whose plantation, cattle, and gin he managed. There is no record of the community ever having a post office; in 1884 mail was being routed via Richmond. About that same time the town served as a stop on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway. By 1936 Dyer was no longer shown on county maps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephen L. Hardin, "DYER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htd22), accessed May 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.