CAMPTOWN, TEXAS. Camptown was on the Sabine and Neches Valley Railway three miles northwest of Deweyville and thirty miles northeast of Beaumont in southern Newton County. The Sabine Tram Company mill was established there after the construction of the Sabine and Neches Valley from Deweyville to Gist in 1922. Although the logging camp was abandoned after the discontinuation of the Sabine and Neches Valley in 1945, the area was found to have oil and gas in 1960. A number of wells, known as the Camptown field, continued to produce as of 1984, although no community was evident.
Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, 800 Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas: Frontier, 1971).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "CAMPTOWN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htc02), accessed October 07, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.