ZANA, TEXAS. Zana was located twenty-three miles south of San Augustine near the southwestern corner of San Augustine County in an area now inundated by Sam Rayburn Reservoir. A post office opened in Zana in 1886, and by 1896 the community had a population of fifty, Christian and Baptist churches, a gristmill and gin, and two livestock agents. In 1914 Zana had a general store and a sawmill. The post office closed in 1916. By the 1930s only a number of dwellings remained at the site, and Zana was no longer listed on highway maps. The area was inundated by Sam Rayburn Reservoir in the 1960s.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "ZANA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrz03), accessed May 24, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.