WHITE ROCK, TX (TRINITY COUNTY)
WHITE ROCK, TEXAS (Trinity County). White Rock, also known as Skains and Skains Chapel, is a rural community on State Highway 19 fifteen miles northwest of Groveton in northwestern Trinity County. It was first settled by William (Billy) Skains and his wife Elizabeth, who moved from Georgia around 1845 and built a homestead on Sandy Creek. A combination church and school known as Skains Chapel was built sometime around the Civil War. By the 1880s the name of the school and the community had changed to White Rock. In the early 1990s only a cemetery and a few scattered houses remained in the area. No population estimates were available.
Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "WHITE ROCK, TX (TRINITY COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrwtq), accessed March 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.