WATKINS, TX (TERRELL COUNTY)
WATKINS, TEXAS (Terrell County). Watkins was on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad and Thurston Canyon seven miles upstream from Malvado in southeastern Terrell County. It was established in 1882 as a section station on the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway. Prehistoric people lived in the canyons around Watkins as many as 6,000 years ago; their art and belongings have been found in the caves and rockshelters. Watkins was named for a roadmaster who worked for the railroad at the time the tracks were built through Terrell County. A post office operated from 1912 through 1917, and a public school was there in 1925. In 1934 the GH&SA railroad was acquired by the Texas and New Orleans. Two years later the new owner straightened the tracks along Thurston Canyon, abandoning the station at Watkins. Without the railroad the small community vanished.
Terrell County Heritage Commission, Terrell County, Texas (San Angelo: Anchor, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Julia Cauble Smith, "WATKINS, TX (TERRELL COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrwmt), accessed May 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.