WHITEHEAD, TEXAS. Whitehead was on the St. Louis and Southwestern Railway sixteen miles southeast of Rusk in southern Cherokee County. It was evidently founded after the railroad was built in the 1880s and was named for J. O. Whitehead, the postmaster. A local post office operated from 1887 until 1890, when the community had a population of twenty-five. By 1900 Whitehead no longer appeared on maps, and in the early 1990s only a store and few scattered houses remained in the area.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "WHITEHEAD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrwlx), accessed September 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.