WILCOX, TX (GRAY COUNTY)
WILCOX, TEXAS (Gray County). Wilcox is a rural community in northwestern Gray County five miles southeast of Pampa. It was founded in the late 1920s when the Wilcox Oil Company leased a section of land on the Combs-Worley Ranch and began drilling wells. By 1940 Wilcox reported a population of fifty. Dane Cambern, later a noted area cattle raiser, resided there in the early 1940s and worked as the company's production foreman. Mail and supplies were received from Pampa. The decrease in oil production resulted in the decline of Wilcox, and in 1990 it had a population of five.
Gray County History Book Committee, Gray County Heritage (Dallas: Taylor, 1985).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "WILCOX, TX (GRAY COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrw28), accessed April 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.