WAYNE, TEXAS. Wayne is on Farm Road 248 just south of Bivins in southeastern Cass County. The village apparently developed during the early 1870s when the Texas and Pacific Railway was being constructed through the county. The settlement was first called Hoxie, and a post office was operated under that name from 1881 until 1883, when the name was changed to Wayne. Because of its proximity to Bivins the two communities, although apparently distinct, were often treated as one place in sources describing the communities of Texas. The Texas State Gazetteer and Business Directory of 1890, for example, referred to Wayne simply as the "post office at Bivins Station." Thus the population estimate of 250 given that year seems to be a combined total for the two communities. Although the Texas State Gazetteer and Business Directory had not yet noted the change, the post office had been transferred to Bivins the preceding year, and no further information on Wayne is available. By 1983 Wayne seems to have been little more than a place name on some maps of the county. In 2000 the population was fifteen.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "WAYNE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrw08), accessed July 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.