VERDINA, TEXAS. Verdina is fourteen miles northeast of Hondo in north central Medina County. Its name was probably adapted from that of nearby Verde Creek. Community members built a schoolhouse on land owned by Henry Saathoff and organized the Verdina school district in October 1903. The post office opened in 1908, with Otto Henry Brucks as postmaster. Around 1919 a modern schoolhouse was built on property owned by John G. Brucks on the Bandera road. In the mid-1920s area ranchers raised cattle, goats, hogs, and turkeys. The Verdina Card Club, organized in 1939, held regular monthly card parties-complete with barbecue and ice cream-at the schoolhouse until as recently as 1983. The town hall was all that remained of Verdina in 1987.
Castro Colonies Heritage Association, The History of Medina County, Texas (Dallas: National Share Graphics, 1983). Houston B. Eggen, History of Public Education in Medina County, Texas, 1848–1928 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1950).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "VERDINA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrv32), accessed August 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.