VALLEY, TEXAS. Valley was on Cibolo Creek fourteen miles west of Seguin in southwestern Guadalupe County. The area was settled around 1850. As a stopping point for the stagecoach between Seguin and San Antonio, it was known as McClellan's. A post office called Valley opened in 1852. August and Edward Pfeil and George Bergfeld lived at Valley in the 1870s. By the mid-1880s Valley had two churches, a school, two steam gristmills, a cotton gin, and 350 residents; it shipped cotton, wool, and farm produce. The post office was discontinued in 1907. By the late 1940s the population was estimated at thirty; forty-nine residents were reported in 1968. No later population figures are available.
Willie Mae Weinert, An Authentic History of Guadalupe County (Seguin, Texas: Seguin Enterprise, 1951; rpt. 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "VALLEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrv25), accessed April 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.