VONTRESS, TEXAS. Vontress is on Farm Road 1080 a mile north of Millers Creek and thirteen miles northeast of Haskell in northeast Haskell County. A post office was established there on March 13, 1906, with George J. Clough as postmaster; Sarah M. Weaver was appointed postmistress on February 17, 1915. The post office had been closed by the early thirties. The settlement's population was estimated at twenty from 1926 to 1947. From 1931 to 1947 one business was active there. County maps of the 1980s showed Vontress to be a rural community with no businesses.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "VONTRESS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrv22), accessed March 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.