VILLAREALES, TEXAS. Villareales is a mile west and a mile north of the intersection of Farm Road 3167 and U.S. Highway 83 and three miles west of Rio Grande City in south central Starr County. It lies within the boundaries of the original Spanish land grants given north of the Rio Grande to colonists from Camargo, Mexico, in the mid-1700s. In the 1930s the community included several farm units just north of U.S. Highway 83. Villareales reported some eighty-five inhabitants in 1966, most of whom were engaged in farming. The population had declined by 1991. The community is not marked with highway signs.
Agnes G. Grimm, Llanos Mesteñas: Mustang Plains (Waco: Texian Press, 1968). Florence J. Scott, Historical Heritage of the Lower Rio Grande (San Antonio: Naylor, 1937; rev. ed., Waco: Texian, 1966; rpt., Rio Grande City, Texas: La Retama Press, 1970). J. Lee and Lillian J. Stambaugh, The Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1954).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Dick D. Heller, Jr., "VILLAREALES, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrv17), accessed July 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.