UPPER MEYERSVILLE, TX
UPPER MEYERSVILLE, TEXAS. Upper Meyersville is just west of U.S. Highway 183 thirteen miles south of Cuero near the Goliad county line in extreme southern DeWitt County. It is a part of the scattered, largely German settlement of Meyersville. In 1856 William Westhoff, Sr., built a store in the area on the south side of Twelve Mile Coleto (also known as Cottonwood) Creek eleven miles southeast of Yorktown. A post office was established in December 1851 in Adolph Meyer's home on the Clinton-Goliad road, half a mile to the southeast. It was moved to Westhoff's store after November 1856. In April 1873 a mail route was opened to Cuero, Arneckeville, Meyersville, Weser, and Goliad, and the next year the post office was moved to Isaac Egg's store, three miles downstream and across the creek. Until this time the settlements scattered along both sides of the Twelve Mile Coleto were known as Meyersville, but after 1873 the southside community begun by Westhoff was called Upper Meyersville. The northside settlement became known as Lower Meyersville, and Lower" was eventually dropped.
Upper Meyersville had a number of businesses, including a wind-powered gristmill, a blacksmith shop, and a store. After 1880 the community declined, though a large cotton gin and warehouse operated from 1913 to 1917. Population estimates are not distinct from those of Meyersville, which fluctuated around 200 to 250 residents from the 1880s to the 1920s, when 150 people were recorded. Before 1899 local students probably attended school at Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic school at Meyersville. Thereafter, Upper Meyersville had the Bomba school, built on land donated by T. Bomba, which operated from 1899 until 1923, when it was consolidated with the Meyersville school. Polish Catholics built a church in 1902 on the Yorktown-Meyersville road two miles northwest, but by 1940 many had returned to Sts. Peter and Paul, and the Polish church was demolished in 1946. By 1948 Upper Meyersville had only two businesses. The population estimates for the Meyersville communities again approached 250 during the 1940s but decreased to 150 during the next decade and by 1968 to 110, which remained the figure in 1985. The 1984 county highway map designates the area as Upper Meyersville Community. It was still listed as a separate community in 1990. St. Joseph's Cemetery is in the vicinity. In 2000 the population was thirty-three.
Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Craig H. Roell, "UPPER MEYERSVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hru04), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.