UNION, TX (LUBBOCK COUNTY)
UNION, TEXAS (Lubbock County). Union is a farming community on Farm Road 41 six miles west of Slaton in south central Lubbock County. The community was named for its Union Sunday School, which met at the schoolhouse about 1900 and which included Baptists, Methodists, Nazarenes, Presbyterians, and members of the Church of Christ. The schoolhouse served as a meeting place for various other community activities; the structure was demolished, however, when the school was consolidated with the Cooper Rural High School in 1936. In 1948 the community still had a store, a gin, and a church. In the late 1980s Union included a gin and a seed firm and had about fifteen residents.
Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."UNION, TX (LUBBOCK COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hru02), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.