THOMAS, TEXAS. Thomas, eight miles southwest of Carthage in southern Panola County, was established around 1875. A post office opened there in 1883 with James L. Thomas, after whom the community was named, serving as postmaster. By 1885 the community included two churches, a steam cotton gin and mill, a district school, and an estimated population of fifty. The post office closed in 1899, and local mail was routed through Gary. By the mid-1930s the community was no longer shown on the county highway map. No further population estimates were available for the town.
John Barnette Sanders, The Postoffices and Post Masters of Panola County, Texas, 1845–1930 (Center, Texas, 1964).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "THOMAS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrtqf), accessed May 24, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.