TOLOSA, TEXAS. Tolosa is on State Highway 274 a mile west of Cedar Creek Reservoir and fourteen miles south of Kaufman in southeastern Kaufman County. The area was settled before the Civil War. Among the early settlers were the King and Baker families; the site was at one time known as Baker's Prairie. The name Tolosa, according to local accounts, was derived from the name of an Indian group. A post office was opened at Tolosa in 1880, and in 1884 the settlement had twenty-five residents. Six years later the population had doubled, and the community had ten businesses, three churches, and a school. By 1904 Tolosa had a population of 116, but it declined to fifty by 1936. After World War II the population stabilized; it was was fifty-eight in 1988 through 2000.
Kaufman County Historical Commission, History of Kaufman County (Dallas: Taylor, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "TOLOSA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrt29), accessed June 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.