TIDWELL PRAIRIE, TX
TIDWELL PRAIRIE, TEXAS. Tidwell Prairie, a rural community eight miles northeast of Calvert in western Robertson County, was probably named for nearby Tidwell's Creek. The community was established sometime after the Civil War as citizens of Owensville bought property in the area and brought sharecroppers and tenant farmers to work their land. Iron was also mined in the vicinity. In 1942 Tidwell Prairie had two schools and several scattered dwellings, and in the 1970s and 1980s it had a church, a school, and a few scattered dwellings. Mail was delivered from Calvert. No population figures were available for Tidwell Prairie.
J. W. Baker, History of Robertson County, Texas (Franklin, Texas: Robertson County Historical Survey Committee, 1970).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Richard Allen Burns, "TIDWELL PRAIRIE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrt22), accessed April 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.