THEDFORD, TEXAS. Thedford is just south of Lindale and north of the intersection of Interstate 20 and U.S. Highway 69 in northwestern Smith County. It was named for Lem Thedford, a pioneer settler who organized the rural school district. The site became a shipping point on the International-Great Northern Railroad in 1874. The community had a population of twenty-five in 1910, and the 1936 county highway map showed a small cluster of dwellings and a cemetery at the site. In 1966 Thedford consisted of a collection of dwellings, some clay pits, several dirt roads, and the Sitton Cemetery. The community reported sixty-five inhabitants in 1990. The population remained the same in 2000.
Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1948).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "THEDFORD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrt13), accessed March 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.