SALINE, TEXAS. Saline is just east of Farm Road 1221 and ten miles south of Hext in southeastern Menard County. A few settlers arrived in the area in the 1860s, but the threat of Indian raids kept many people away until the 1870s or 1880s. Shortly after 1900 the Saline school had eighty-four students and two teachers. The school and a church marked the community on county highway maps in the late 1930s. The school closed in 1947, and students were sent to the London school in Kimble County. In 1980 and 1990 Saline reported fifty-eight residents. Residents held an annual homecoming at the community center. In 2000 the population was fifty-nine.
Menard County Historical Society, Menard County History-An Anthology (San Angelo: Anchor, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "SALINE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsuv), accessed November 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles