STERNE, TEXAS. Sterne was a farming community off U. S. Highway 59 twelve miles northeast of Nacogdoches in northeastern Nacogdoches County. It began around 1885, when the Houston, East and West Texas Railway was built through the area. A post office was established there in 1886, and by 1891 Sterne had two gristmills and cotton gins, two physicians, a wagon and chair maker, a blacksmith, a general store, a school, and an estimated population of fifty. The post office closed in 1897, and the school and the depot shut their doors around 1909. A general store operated until the early 1920s, but by that time most of the residents had moved away. In the early 1990s Sterne was an abandoned town; only a few scattered houses remained in the area.
Nacogdoches County Genealogical Society, Nacogdoches County Families (Dallas: Curtis, 1985).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "STERNE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrssk), accessed May 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.