STRACENER, TEXAS. Stracener, a farming community off U.S. Highway 271 four miles north of Gilmer in north central Upshur County, was settled sometime before 1900, when a school was in operation there. By 1906 the school had an enrollment of fifty-five black students. In the mid-1930s the community comprised the school, a store, and number of houses. After World War II the school and the store closed, and by the mid-1960s only a few widely scattered houses remained.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "STRACENER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrskj), accessed May 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.