SLOVANVILLE, TEXAS. Slovanville, also known as Kulhanek and as Sloganville, was four miles south of Waller and west of what is now Farm Road 362 in Waller County. It was named for the European immigrants from Slavonic countries who settled in the area. Children from the community attended classes in a one-room schoolhouse that was donated by Josef Kulhanek in 1897. The teacher, a Mr. Voitek, opened a post office to supplement his income, but because the post office was less than five miles from Waller, the federal postal authorities did not allow it to stay open. Local residents rode on horseback to Waller for mail service until free rural mail delivery began in 1909. Slovanville disappeared after that time.
Mildred W. Abshier et al., Former Post Offices of Waller County (Hempstead, Texas: Waller County Historical Society, 1977).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Paul M. Lucko, "SLOVANVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrscb), accessed May 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.