SAVANNAH, TX (MARION COUNTY)
SAVANNAH, TEXAS (Marion County). Savannah is on State Highway 43 thirteen miles northeast of Jefferson in northeastern Marion County. The Savannah school had thirty white pupils and one teacher in 1899. In 1938 the community had a one-room schoolhouse that accommodated fourteen white elementary students. The school was described that year as being in somewhat dilapidated condition and located on a remote sandy road at least five miles from the nearest store. It had been consolidated with the Jefferson schools by 1955. In 1962 Savannah consisted of a church and several scattered dwellings. The 1983 county highway map showed the church at the townsite.
Jack Reed Harvey, Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Marion County Schools (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "SAVANNAH, TX (MARION COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsav), accessed July 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.