SHAWNEE, TX (RED RIVER COUNTY)
SHAWNEE, TEXAS (Red River County). Shawnee is eight miles southeast of Annona in southeastern Red River County. It took its name from nearby Shawnee Creek and Shawnee Prairie. Although settlement began in the area much earlier, a community did not begin to emerge until the late 1870s. In 1881 it had a general store, Shawnee Chapel, and a physician. A post office was opened in 1895, and the next year the town had a general store, a sawmill, a gristmill, a gin, a church, and a population of forty. The post office was closed in 1906, and by 1936 the community had a church, a school, and a few widely scattered houses. In 1984 Shawnee had only a church and a few dwellings.
Clarksville Standard, March 25, September 2, 1881, August 25, 1882.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "SHAWNEE, TX (RED RIVER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/HRS84), accessed April 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.