SHILOH, TX (BASTROP COUNTY)
SHILOH, TEXAS (Bastrop County). The Shiloh community, four miles southwest of Bastrop in Bastrop County, was established in 1860, in part by German settlers. It was apparently also known as Shiloah. Shortly after the Civil War community members built a one-room log schoolhouse. Here Lutheran and Baptist congregations worshipped. Shiloh has never been large enough to record population figures or to establish a post office, but it did have a new school built in 1912. In the mid-1980s it was the site of a church, with two cemeteries nearby. Highway maps in the late 1990s still identified the community and showed several cemeteries in the area, but no population figures were available in 2000.
Bastrop Historical Society, In the Shadow of the Lost Pines: A History of Bastrop County and Its People (Bastrop, Texas: Bastrop Advertiser, 1955). William Henry Korges, Bastrop County, Texas: Historical and Educational Development (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1933).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Paula Mitchell Marks, "SHILOH, TX (BASTROP COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrs79), accessed May 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.