SEXTON CITY, TX
SEXTON CITY, TEXAS. Sexton City, at the intersection of State highways 42 and 135, three miles east of Overton in northeastern Rusk County, was named for several brothers of a pioneer family who settled at its site. Sexton City was established just east of the old Rocky Mount Church and for some time was called both Sexton City and Rocky Mount. The Rocky Mount site at one time had a church and a state-operated hospital, but the hospital was abandoned and the area population dwindled as local residents moved to new oilfields. By 1940 Sexton City reported seventy residents and three businesses, and by the early 1950s, some 250 residents and four businesses. The number of residents continued to be reported as 250 through 1966, after which no further population statistics were available. A traffic light and several small businesses still operated at Sexton City in the late 1980s.
Kilgore News Herald, July 16, 1972. Dorman H. Winfrey, A History of Rusk County (Waco: Texian, 1961).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Megan Biesele, "SEXTON CITY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrs30), accessed May 07, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.