RYAN, TEXAS. Ryan was on Hog Creek fourteen miles west of Waco in western McLennan County. A post office opened there in 1890, with Harley O. Mason as postmaster. By the mid-1890s the community had Baptist and Methodist churches, a general store, two flour mills, a cotton gin, and twenty-one residents. The post office was closed in 1902, and mail was sent to McGregor. Ryan was not labeled on county highway maps in the 1940s, and no other population estimates were available.
Dayton Kelley, ed., The Handbook of Waco and McLennan County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1972). William Robert Poage, McLennan County Before 1980 (Waco: Texian, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "RYAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrrvg), accessed August 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.