RADFORD, TEXAS. Radford, in northeastern Karnes County, was founded by Dr. William H. Radford, a dentist. In 1895 he moved to Karnes County from Hays County. He lived briefly in Runge but then bought some land at a site halfway between Helena and Riddleville, where the road branched to Runge. He built a general store and a residence and opened a dental practice. A post office called Radford was established there in 1897, and Dr. Radford served as postmaster. Walter Upton bought the place in 1900. A cotton gin was built there, but the Radford community nevertheless declined, and its post office was closed in 1907. The store and cotton gin were used until the 1930s.
Robert H. Thonhoff, History of Karnes County (M.A. thesis, Southwest Texas State College, 1963).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert H. Thonhoff, "RADFORD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrrqm), accessed April 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.