ROCK HILL, TX (PANOLA COUNTY)
ROCK HILL, TEXAS (Panola County). Rock Hill, a rural community eight miles east of Tatum on Farm Road 1794 in northern Panola County, was established after the Civil War. In 1895 a United Methodist church, organized in 1887, was moved to Rock Hill. A school began operating in 1907, and a new church was built in 1912. In the mid-1930s the community had a church, a school, and a number of houses. During the 1940s the school was consolidated with Beckville, but in the mid-1960s a church, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses still remained in the area. In the early 1990s Rock Hill was a dispersed rural community. No population estimates were available.
Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin. John Barnette Sanders, Index to the Cemeteries of Panola County (Center, Texas, 1964).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "ROCK HILL, TX (PANOLA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrran), accessed November 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles