ROCKFORD, TEXAS. Rockford is on Farm Road 1497 fourteen miles southeast of Paris in southeastern Lamar County. It was settled prior to 1900 and named for its location on a rocky ford of the North Sulphur River. A post office operated at the settlement from 1891 to 1909. Rockford had a population of twenty-five and one business in 1940. After World War II many of the residents moved out of the area, and by the mid-1960s the town's only store had closed. In the early 1990s Rockford was a dispersed rural community.