PEGODA, TEXAS. Pegoda, also known as Pecota and as Baucis, was a farming community on Farm Road 356 five miles from Trinity in Trinity County. The area was first settled before the Civil War, and maps show a "Pecota" community as early as 1860. During the early 1920s Pegoda had a store, a school, and a church. A post office called Baucis operated from 1917 to 1920. After World War II many of the residents moved away, and in the early 1990s Pegoda was a dispersed rural community.
Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "PEGODA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrpzh), accessed April 18, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.