PROVIDENCE, TX (NAVARRO COUNTY)
PROVIDENCE, TEXAS (Navarro County). Providence, just off U.S. Highway 287 three miles west of Eureka in south central Navarro County, was probably established before 1900 and was named for an early local church. A school was in operation there by the early 1900s, and in 1906 it had an enrollment of forty-three. In the mid-1930s the small community comprised the school, a store, a church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War II the store was closed, and the school was consolidated with that of Mildred. In the mid-1960s all that remained at the site was a church, a cemetery, and a few widely scattered houses.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "PROVIDENCE, TX (NAVARRO COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrpwy), accessed May 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.