PINE GROVE, TEXAS (Trinity County). Pine Grove, a rural community on Farm Road 2781 eleven miles northwest of Groveton in northwestern Trinity County, grew up around a school for African-American children established before 1884. In 1896 the school had one teacher and twenty-seven students. During the 1930s the community had the school and a number of houses. The school was later closed, but in the early 1990s a church and a few scattered houses remained in the area. No population estimates were available.
Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.